DIVERSIFICATION OF COFFEE LIVELIHOOD PROJECT
Caritas Nyeri is implementing a pilot livelihoods diversification project in partnership with Catholic Relief Services in Giakanja, Tetu Sub-County in Nyeri. The project started in June 2017 and is expected to run up to September 2018.
THE LIVELIHOODS OF VULNERABLE SMALLHOLDER COFFEE GROWING HOUSEHOLDS IS IMPROVED
1. vulnerable smallholder coffee growing households in Tetu have increased income
1. Farmers have diversified their non-coffee income generating activities
2.vulnerable smallholder coffee growing households have increased their access to financial services
2. vulnerable smallholder coffee growing households have Increased sustainable production of quality coffee
1. small holder farmers have Increased knowledge and skills in coffee production and post-harvest handling
2. Small scale farmers Sustain-ably manage their natural resources and coffee – legumes – Trees inter-crop systems
3. vulnerable smallholder coffee farmers have improved extension and advisory services
4. vulnerable smallholder coffee farmers have strengthened farmer organizations.
3. vulnerable smallholder coffee growing households have Increased capacity to influence policy and regulatory framework
1. Coffee stake holders in Nyeri County are better organized
2. Small holder coffee farmers in Nyeri county have increased awareness and participation in policy formulation.
CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES (CRS)
GIAKANJA IN NYERI COUNTY.
JUNE 2017 TO SEPTEMBER 2018.
PROJECT PHOTOS BELOW
Above: Farmers offload avocado seedlings to be distributed to them later.
Above: Transportation of Dairy Goats
Above: 140 dairy goats were distributed to farmers
Above: Farmers gather ready to receive tissue culture and bananas and avocado seedlings.
Above: A SILC training session.